Monday, February 2, 2009

Those "priceless" teeth

About 2 years ago Joshie broke off one of his front teeth, we think, by chewing on a toy. Upon taking him to the dentist, they told us it would be best to cap it so that it didn't break off further and expose the root. This is a fairly big procedure for an 18 month old because they have to put them under general anesthesia for it. So we did it and paid about $400 out of pocket for his new shiny front tooth. Fast forward 6 months later.....While brushing his teeth that night I discover that he broke off BOTH front teeth somehow during the day!! No major falls occurred that I was aware of and I was just flabbergasted at out this could be happening again. Back to the dentist we went. This time, both teeth were capped so that his speech would not be impeded as he learned to talk, this time with metal behind the teeth instead of just the white stuff that look like real teeth. There would be no breaking these babies! This trip cost us closer to $1000 out of pocket due to the costs of the surgery center rising, and of course, double the teeth fixed. Those are some pretty darned expensive baby teeth! And of course we knew they wouldn't last forever, but it was worth the money knowing that he would learn to talk correctly and wouldn't look like a orphan child with two fragments for front teeth.
Fast forward 1.5 years to the present......regular dentist appointment for cleanings....only to find out BOTH said teeth are infected and need to be pulled. Yes, thats right, pulled. I asked if this was a cavity that went unnoticed to turn into an infection, but he said no, usually an infection results from a root that dies and then gets infected. He said it probably resulted from a fall. Jeez Joshie must fall ALOT! I promise I'm a good mother, really.

3 comments:

  1. So what happens now? Is the dentist able to get rid of the infection?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told Steve about this after I read it because I was so shocked!! I cannot believe your luck with teeth! Geeze!

    So when and where should we get together?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor lil GUY!! I can't believe they'll have to pull both teeth. I hope he doesn't grow up to dislike the dentist because of all of this.

    ReplyDelete